How Much Does it Cost To Unblock Drains?
Whether you’re dealing with a blocked toilet or a clogged kitchen sink, these plumbing issues are always a nuisance. With professional help, though, you can quickly and efficiently unblock drains and have everything running smoothly again. But the big question is, how much does it cost to unblock drains? Let’s dive into that.
Blocked Drains Cost Breakdown
The cost of fixing blocked drains can range anywhere from $250 to thousands of dollars. Drain blockage is a common issue handled by plumbing services, but the cost to unblock can vary based on several factors. Some of the other factors that influence the cost would be;
The Nature of the Blockage
The type of blockage determines the equipment needed. Simple blockages due to toilet paper or food waste might require just a plumber’s snake or electric eel to resolve, while stubborn blockages like tree roots in your sewer drain might require a high-pressure hydro jet system.
Location of the Blockage
A short stretch of blocked drainage piping might cost less to repair than a complex, deep-seated blockage. If the blocked drain is located in a hard-to-reach area, expect to pay a higher fee
Cost Implications for Different Types of Blocked Drains
Understanding the cost implications for unblocking different types of drains is key in budgeting for potential plumbing issues. Let’s look at some specific cases that you might encounter at your home.
- Blocked Toilet Drains: A blocked toilet is a common issue in many homes, usually resulting from excess toilet paper or non-flushable items. To professionally unblock a toilet drain, you may need to pay between $220 and $500. If the blockage is severe, requiring the removal and reinstallation of the toilet, costs may be higher.
- Replacing Drainage Piping: In cases of damaged or persistently blocked pipes, you might need to replace a section of your drainage piping. The cost for this typically ranges from $3,000 to $10,000, considering both the materials and labour involved.
- Blocked Shower Drains: Build-up of hair and soap scum can lead to blocked shower drains. The expected cost to unblock a shower drain ranges from $100 to $250.
- Blocked Bathroom Sink Drains: Blockages in bathroom sinks are often due to hair, toothpaste, and soap residues. The cost to unblock a bathroom sink drain generally falls between $200 and $400.
- Blocked Kitchen Sink Drains: Grease, food scraps, and soap can easily block kitchen sink drains. To unblock a kitchen sink, the usual cost is between $400 and $600, varying with the severity of the blockage.
- Blocked Floor Drains: Floor drains in areas like basements, laundry rooms, or garages can become blocked with dirt, debris, and other materials. Clearing these types of drains can cost anywhere from $300 to $500.
- Blocked Sewer Drains: These are serious issues often caused by tree roots, non-flushable items, or collapsed pipes, leading to raw sewage backup. Depending on the severity and whether repair or replacement of piping is required, unblocking a sewer drain can cost from $300 to $500.
Please note that these are just estimated costs. Actual prices can vary based on the specific situation, the plumber’s rates, and your geographical location. Always ensure to get a quote from a reputable plumber before proceeding with any work.
The Importance of Maintaining Drains
It’s no secret that maintaining your drainage system can save you the headache and cost of a blocked drain. Regular maintenance can help identify potential blockages and address them before they become serious. For example, tree roots can be detected and removed early before they cause significant damage.
How to Avoid Blocked Drains?
Avoiding a drain blockage is possible with a few practical tips.
Watch What You Flush
Be mindful of what goes down your drain. In your bathroom, avoid flushing anything other than toilet paper. In the kitchen, don’t pour oils or grease down the sink as they solidify and cause blockages.
Strainers are your best friend. They can prevent large chunks of food and hair from entering your drains, reducing the chances of a clog.
Regular Professional Check-ups
Schedule regular check-ups with a professional plumbing service. They can assess your system and identify any potential issues before they become serious.
Should You Try To Fix Your Drain?
While it may be tempting to fix a blocked drain by yourself to save on costs, it may not always be the best idea. DIY methods can sometimes cause more harm than good. For instance, overusing chemical cleaners can damage your pipes, leading to more expensive repairs. Hiring a professional ensures the job is done right the first time.
Remember, dealing with a blocked drain doesn’t have to be a nightmare. Regular maintenance and professional help, when needed, can keep your drains flowing smoothly.
If you ever find yourself dealing with blocked drains in Newcastle, don’t hesitate to reach out to The Plumbing Life Saver. We offer quality, affordable plumbing services to keep your home running smoothly. It’s always better to deal with blockages sooner rather than later, so don’t delay in seeking professional help.