How to Clear a Blocked Drain: Expert Tips and Solutions
Dealing with a blocked drain can be a frustrating experience, but it’s a common issue in households and businesses across Australia. Whether it’s a severely clogged drain or just a slow water flow, understanding how to tackle this problem efficiently can save you time and potential damage to your plumbing.
Identifying the Signs of a Blocked Drain
Before diving into solutions, it’s important to recognise the signs of a blocked drain. These include:
- Unpleasant Odours: Foul smells are often the first indication of a blockage, as stagnant water and waste start to decompose.
- Gurgling Sounds: These noises occur when air gets trapped and bubbles up through the water, indicating a potential blockage.
- Slow Draining: If water is taking longer than usual to drain, it’s a clear sign of a clogged drain.
- Water Overflow: Water backing up out of the drain is a direct indication of a blockage.
Common Causes of Blocked Drains
Understanding the causes can help prevent future blockages. Common culprits include:
- Tree Roots: These can invade and block sewage lines.
- Toiletries and Wet Wipes: Despite some being labelled ‘flushable’, they can create significant blockages.
- Food Waste and Cooking Oil: These can solidify and obstruct pipes.
- Hair and Soap Residue: These often combine to form stubborn clogs.
DIY Solutions for Clearing Blocked Drains
- Boiling Water: A simple and effective first step, especially for grease or food-related blockages. Pouring boiling water down the drain can often break up the blockage.
- Natural Drain Cleaners: Mixing a cup of baking soda with white vinegar creates a reaction that can clear blockages. After pouring the mixture down the drain, follow it up with hot water.
- Plunger: A good tool for dislodging blockages, especially solid ones.
- Coat Hanger or Plumber’s Snake: These tools can be used to physically remove or break up blockages, particularly effective for hair or foreign objects.
When to Call a Professional Plumber
While DIY methods can be effective for minor blockages, more severe cases, like those caused by tree roots or compacted debris, require professional intervention. A professional plumber may use techniques like:
- Hydro Jet: A high-pressure water system that clears blockages and cleans pipe walls.
- CCTV Inspection: To identify the exact location and nature of the blockage.
- Excavation: In extreme cases, where the pipe itself needs repair or replacement.
Related article: How Much Does it Cost To Unblock Drains?
Preventing Future Drain Blockages
Preventive measures are key to avoiding recurrent drain issues:
- Avoid Flushing Non-Degradable Items: Such as wet wipes and feminine hygiene products.
- Dispose of Cooking Oil and Food Scraps Properly: Rather than pouring them down the drain.
- Regular Drain Cleaning: To maintain clear and functional pipes.
Related article: Never Put These 13 Things Down Your Drain
Professional Drain Cleaning Services in Newcastle
WE FIX BLOCKED DRAINS NEWCASTLE WIDE. The Plumbing Life Saver offers expert drain clearing services around the clock. Our skilled team utilises advanced technology, including hydro jets and CCTV cameras, to effectively address all types of drain blockages. We understand the inconvenience caused by clogged drains and offer no-dig pipe repair solutions to minimise disruption. Trust us for prompt, efficient, and lasting solutions to your drain problems.